If you have been injured in an accident, perhaps one of the first important decisions you make is to find the right personal injury lawyer. There are many factors in choosing the right lawyer for your case. The following are some of the things you should consider when retaining a personal injury attorney in New Jersey:
- References: Ask for references from people who have used the attorney in the past. See how the attorney is rated by their peers by looking them up on attorney evaluation websites. Find out if the attorney is certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a specialist in civil trial law.
- Consultation: Schedule a consultation with the attorney. Most personal injury attorneys in New Jersey offer a free initial consultation. Many attorneys also come to your home or the hospital if you are unable to travel. You should come to the consultation with as much information about your accident as possible.
- Experience: It is important that you find an attorney who is experienced in handling matters like yours. Ask how many cases the law firm has tried and research verdicts and settlements they have obtained. You should also ask about the size of the law firm, if the firm has the resources needed to investigate and litigate your case, and whether your case will be handled by that attorney or an associate.
- Honesty and integrity: There is no substitute for placing your trust in an honest, ethical lawyer committed to helping you. It is often helpful to ask attorneys to explain how they view your case. But be wary of bold promises as litigation by its nature is unpredictable.
- Retainer fee: Be sure the injury attorney has explained the fee and what services are provided for it. In many personal injury cases the attorney is paid by contingency fee, which is a percentage of the eventual recovery. This means there should be no upfront cost to you.
At Gelman Gelman Wiskow & McCarthy, we are proud of our record helping New Jersey accident victims in Bergen, Morris, Middlesex, Sussex, Essex, Somerset and Passaic counties. Feel free to check our website for information on the settlements and verdicts we have obtained for our clients.