Wrongful Death Lawyer Serving Newton, Dover, Bernardsville & Elmwood Park, NJ
Filing lawsuits against doctors, nurses and hospitals for more than 65 years
Gelman Gelman Wiskow & McCarthy LLC was founded in 1950 and exclusively handles injury claims for victims and their families throughout the state of New Jersey. If your doctor, nurse or hospital has injured you, our medical malpractice attorneys aggressively pursue the maximum possible compensation for medical bills, future treatments, lost income, diminished earning capacity, disability, disfigurement, pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life.
Medical malpractice causes of action
A medical malpractice claim arises when your doctor’s conduct does not conform to the standard of a similarly situated doctor and you were injured because of it. At your free initial consultation in one of our five New Jersey offices, we review the specifics of your claim to determine if you have a medical malpractice claim and advise you about next steps and potential outcomes. We take on such challenging cases as:
- Birth injury — Our lawyers pursue compensation from your obstetrician and hospital for such devastating birth injuries as brachial plexus birth palsy and cerebral palsy that may cause your child permanent disabilities.
- Failure to diagnose — If your doctor’s failure to diagnose your medical condition deprives you of your treatment options, we pursue damages for the injuries you suffer because of the progression of your disease.
- Prescription error — When we file a surgical error claim, we assertively pursue the damages you deserve and we hope to reduce the estimated 1.5 million prescription errors that occur yearly to zero.
- Surgical errors — Our attorneys consider the 80,000 preventable surgical errors made during a 20-year period an unacceptable risk to patients, and we hold your doctors and nurses, who contributed to that frightening statistic, accountable for their negligence.
- Laparoscopic injuries — Although minimally invasive, laparoscopy can result in such laparoscopic injuries as nerve damage, tissue scarring and infection, for which our medical malpractice team pursues your maximum compensation.
- Anesthesia errors — Our lawyers help you recover compensation for such avoidable anesthesia errors as administering too much or too little general anesthesia or inserting an epidermal or a spinal block needle incorrectly.
- Nursing home errors — We help you protect your loved one from the harmful consequences of nursing home errors — including falls, medication mistakes and neglect of daily needs.
- Defective medical devices — Because of the FDA’s ineffective approval and recall procedures, you may suffer injury from a defective medical device that remained on the market despite its dangers, a situation our law firm considers appalling and for which we seek justice for the damages you sustained.
Statute of limitations for filing a New Jersey medical malpractice claim
Time is of the essence for filing your medical malpractice claim. Under New Jersey’s statute of limitations, you must commence your lawsuit within two years from the date the medical act or omission occurred, or within two years from the date you should have reasonably discovered your injuries. If you miss this strict deadline, you may permanently forfeit your rights to recover compensation for your injuries.
Schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your NJ medical malpractice claim
To learn more about filing a medical malpractice claim in New Jersey, call Gelman Gelman Wiskow & McCarthy LLC at 862-263-0770 or contact us online to schedule your one-hour free initial consultation with a medical malpractice lawyer. We offer a Spanish translator upon request, and maintain offices in Elmwood Park, Dover, Bernardsville and Newton for your convenience.