In the unfortunate case that you are the victim of a personal injury incident, you deserve compensation to help you recover physically, mentally, and emotionally. Working with a personal injury attorney can help “make you whole” again by obtaining damages for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, mental anguish, and more.
If you have decided to file a personal injury claim, it’s important to know that it may be possible to settle outside of court, shortening the time and lowering the cost required to resolve your case. Personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, meaning you pay no fees until and unless you win your case. As you prepare to file, learn how the compensation process works so you know what to expect.
Commencing Your Case
Here are the initial steps to take if you’re injured because of someone else’s negligence or malicious intent:
- Seek medical attention: For your case to have any bearing, you need records showing that you underwent a medical evaluation, and the doctor declared your injuries to be a direct result of the accident.
- Contact an attorney in a timely manner: You must move quickly to protect your rights. In New Jersey, most personal injury cases have a two-year statute of limitations. If you wait too long after the incident to file a claim, you may lose your chance for compensation.
We’ll Take it From Here
Once you contact Gelman Gelman Wiskow & McCarthy LLC, you can rest and recover while we move your case forward. Here’s how we work to maximize your compensation:
- Investigate and gather evidence: We inspect photos of the accident scene, review physical evidence, interview witnesses, read police reports—anything to help support your claim.
- Acquire copies of medical records and billing statements: We request copies of medical bills and treatment details to use when demanding compensation from the party responsible for your injuries.
- Obtain proof of lost earnings: We request payroll information from your employer and gather other necessary earnings records to prove claims of lost income.
- Submit a demand package to the insurance company for potential settlement: In addition to demanding payment for measurable monetary damages, we compile a list of mental and emotional injuries you have suffered, along with proof to substantiate them. We’ll help you determine when it’s in your best interest to settle and when it’s better to take your case to court.
- File a lawsuit if we can’t reach a settlement: If the responsible party offers an unacceptable settlement amount, we’ll take your case to the next level. We won’t stop until you receive the compensation you deserve!
Working with Gelman Gelman Wiskow & McCarthy LLC could make all the difference in your case. We have been helping personal injury victims in New Jersey obtain fair compensation since 1950. Contact us at 862-263-0770 today, and we’ll work hard to make sure justice is served. All cases begin with a complimentary, no-obligation consultation, so get started risk-free.